As a homeowner, you need to prepare your home for any disaster that may cause it damage. Unfortunately, there are times when no matter how much preparation you do, your home can come out severely damaged. As such, when this happens, there’s nothing you can do but restore it.
In this article, the remodeling and mold remediation pros of Action Restoration list five tips that can help you restore your home after a disaster.
1. Reinforce Your Roof – When your roof sustains damage after a disaster, don’t just have it replaced with high-quality materials. Be sure to have it reinforced as well. To accomplish this, experts recommend that you add hurricane strapping to your roof to prevent it from being blown off by strong winds and storms.
2. Replace Your Poor Flooring – If your home has recently faced disasters involving your water, it can be detrimental to your floors. For instance, if your floor is carpeted, it can absorb the water and can be difficult to dry out and you’ll likely need a new carpet pad. Basement floors can also sustain water damage if this occurs. Therefore, when you’re restoring your home after a disaster, consider replacing your old flooring with better materials.
3. Repair the Basement – On the other hand, if your basement suffered some moisture damage due to flooding, be sure to include rectifying its issues in your restoration plans. To accomplish this, basement specialists recommend that you install sump-pumps, perimeter drainage tiles, or even a French drain when you restore your home. By doing so, you can maintain a moisture-free basement whenever it rains.
4. Reinforce the Interior Walls – For your walls, you can also consider toughening it up when you’re in the process of restoring your home. When you’re doing so, consider installing water-resistant materials, such as cement board or foam board to prevent it from sustaining water damage in the future. If you’re looking to further reinforce it, you can also consider adding a coat of waterproof paint to your new walls.
5. Replace Your Windows and Exterior Walls – Alternatively, if your windows and exterior walls sustained any form of damage during a strong storm, have them replaced as soon as possible to prevent your home from sustaining further damage.
Why Work With a Pro
When you’re restoring your home after a disaster, it’s never recommended that you do it on your own. Instead, take the time to look for trustworthy and reliable home restoration experts. That way, your restoration project can be completed faster and in a more efficient manner while avoiding any possible mistakes at the same time.
Make your search for restoration companies easier by turning to Action Restoration, the leading experts to approach when it comes to water and fire damage restoration services. Give us a call at (616) 200-8946 or fill out our contact form to enlist our services. We serve homeowners in Grand Rapids and other nearby areas.