Mold and mildew grows just about anywhere there’s moisture, including areas affected by flood damage. It is common knowledge that both can cause problems, from foul odors and unsightly stains to respiratory problems. In this blog, Action Restoration takes a closer look at the differences between the two, and how to get rid of them.
Key Differences Between Mold and Mildew
Mold and mildew are both fungi that thrive in areas where it’s dark and moist. Of the two, mold is the one that is known to cause health problems. It’s important to understand that, like all living creatures, mold requires more than just moisture to grow. Mold consumes organic material: soil, dead plant parts and human food rich in carbohydrates. This is why you will likely find mold on bread, untreated wood and clothing made of organic material. Mold is identifiable by its fuzzy appearance, and can be colored bright red to dark green, and even black.
Mildew, on the other hand, is like mold’s gentler little sibling. One is less likely to find it during flood restoration work. Mildew has a distinctive grayish-white or brown color and easily breaks down to powder when touched. It’s not as harmful as mold, but mildew has been known to trigger allergic reactions in some people.
How to Get Rid of Mold and Mildew
Taking preventive measures is better than dealing with mold and mildew as they appear. Both thrive on moisture, so you need to control indoor humidity, particularly during humid summer seasons. Cold air is a natural dehumidifier, so make sure your air conditioner is properly sized and maintained. You can bolster it with a whole-home dehumidifier if relative indoor humidity is still high. Mold and mildew can be removed with a mixture of white vinegar and water.
For severe cases, Action Restoration offers mold removal and remediation services. We have rescued hundreds of homes from extensive mold damage, which is common in areas that aren’t used as often, such as the basement. If mold and mildew are a persistent problem, save yourself the headache of repeatedly cleaning after them and work with a professional mold remover.