Our household appliances are designed to make our lives easier by automating processes and taking off tons of manual labor off our shoulders. However, these appliances that operate using gas or electricity present some safety risks, and it’s our responsibility as homeowners to ensure that these accidents don’t happen. In this post, your water removal and restoration specialist, Action Restoration, share more here.
General Appliance Safety Tips
- Keep electric and gas-operated appliances at a safe space from wet areas such as your bathroom, kitchen or basement.
- Make sure flammable items such as clothes, curtains or furniture are away from heaters, furnaces or appliances that create heat.
- Use the proper outlet for certain appliances. Don’t force a 220-volt appliance to a 110-volt outlet to prevent any mishaps.
- Don’t run cords under your carpets or rugs as you can slip on them, or damage the wires that can lead to fire damage.
- Inspect your wires regularly for any damage. Be sure to replace them right away if you notice fraying, or damaged cables.
Electric or Gas Ranges
- Clean out grease or any debris from the burner, stove, or oven. Also, don’t forget to take out combustible materials near your oven.
- Always pay attention to your cooking range when using it and shut it off when leaving the kitchen.
- Before firing up the range, make sure it doesn’t reek of gas in the oven, or anywhere near it.
- Before cooking, make sure to roll up your sleeves, tie up your hair and use non-slip gloves to prevent any accidents.
- Just like your range, always keep an eye on your dishwasher when using it. Don’t leave it running before going to bed, or leaving your home.
- As much as possible, avoid using extension cords for your dishwasher and plug it into a grounded wall socket instead.
- Inspect the plastic components that release the detergent on the door’s interior. If they’re damaged, have them replaced immediately since water can leak into the internal components which can cause fires.
Do you need help to ensure your home is in stable condition? Call on one of the top fire restoration companies in your area, Action Restoration! We don’t just restore homes, we restore people’s lives. Our licensed contractors will find the source of the problem and keep your home healthy and comfortable for your family to live in. Call us at (616) 200-8946 or fill out our contact form to get in touch with us.